Sunday, May 17, 2009

Enlightened

So i went to go iron my clothes for church at my Aunt Sue's and ended up having a very interesting coversation with Doug. Seriously, i first had no clue Doug had been baptized in the mormon church, and he got baptized by a high up apostle which is incredible, but that was way back when, and so his story was quite different from mine, but ours both started with somebody we cared about showing us the church which was neat. Anyways Doug very much enlightened my perspective on religion, and his words and im sure everyone has heard them were "Practice what you preach".... now i have heard them countless times before, but Doug put them in a new light for me, and so I hope he knows that he got me thinking and touched me in a deeper way. So i thank him tremendously :))))) and especially Aunt Sue for making me a really good sandwich and letting me be able to look at all your pictures, and use that ironing board!!! Love you guys

4 comments:

The Best Years said...

We love you Maddie and we are looking forward to your baptism todayl we are on our way to the airport to pick up Reme right now. See you this evening. Love. Aunt Sue

Dee said...

It's always good to listen to those who have gone before you. Ultimately it's your choice about these major things in life. The really super good thing that is a constant is that your family will love you and support you always all the way from ironing boards to religion and beyond. YOU are a very lucky young woman! love you, Aunt Dee

Lina A. Sikes said...

Thank you Maddie for allowing us to be with you while you are going through something so special and important to you. You are an amazing soul, I am glad that you believe there is a greater reason for your presence here, it means you have faith in the significance of your life and you strive to be happy and by so doing will make happy.
Come check out Salt Lake with us if you ever find the time. We'll give you a cozy place to stay, people to hang with, etc.
Lots of love,
Lina

MT Miller said...

Sis,

First, thank you for inviting everyone to your baptism. The ceremony was enjoyable, even if I had to bite my tongue every now and then (lol…I’m used to that). I was very impressed by the number of folks attending, and I liked very much the Bishop’s talk, and there is no doubt in my mind about the support you have already earned from the church members and will of course continue to gather in the future.

The sense of community felt within the LDS church is incredibly strong, and I honestly believe the rest of middle America could learn much from the church’s methods of community building and their adherence to a clean and decent way of living. If I were to make a list of how to construct an ideal community, much of what I would offer would be found within the LDS church.

You are right when you said that your quick conversion has caught much of the family by surprise, though not necessarily in the ways in which you might imagine. And, yes, we’re all guessing and placing bets on where you’ll end up (yes, I’m running the betting pool…no, you can’t place a bet). However, I think you’ll find that everyone (including Ryan) is supportive of your right to choose your belief system and follow it through. While none of us would have guessed a turn to Mormonism, I think everyone is pleased that you are happy, and we all support you in that.

Much is made of the not drinking and not partying, both by you, Ryan and certainly Mom, and no doubt others are thinking it and talking about it. Since it’s a hot topic, I’ll address it myself.

Tossing drinking, drugs and partying out of your life is bound to lead to a calmer, quieter and happier life. Not because of God, but because these things are a crutch. They weaken you, and when you get rid of them you have to make yourself stronger, whether you believe in God or not. Also, when you ditch them, you start to recognize that you only brought them into your life because you thought they would benefit you, and they don’t, and you’re able to see how instead of benefiting they made your life worse.

I am happy you feel better without them, though I think you would have felt equally happy no matter why you’d given them up.

On a final note, more than one person has voiced the opinion that if joining the LDS church forces you to give up drinking, drugs, etc. then at the very least that’s a positive step in the right direction.

I don’t agree. I have no love for drinking and drugs, but I do have one rather large reservation about the church. I feel the LDS church, like all organized religions, but more so than most, purposefully discourages independent, open-minded freethinking. This has always been the point at which I have personally parted ways with organized religion, for I put the highest value on the privacy and sanctity of my own mind and my right to exercise it how I see fit.

I for one would rather be drunk and stumbling from failure to failure with an independent conscience than lead a clean and sober life inside a well kept and well fenced pasture.

However, it is clear that you have done much soul searching to make your choice, and continue to do so. I have faith that your belief is based in much study and rumination, and is not a matter of you having given up your independent thinking.

At least, not yet.

As you continue this journey, sister, I support and encourage your effort, but I remind you to always be wary of those who tell you they know the Absolute Truth, for no one does. No one, not anyone, anywhere in history, has ever gotten it completely right.

And remember that in every case the worst of humanity’s faults stem from pride, prejudice, hatred, and judgment.

Keep your feet moving along the path, but be mindful when you are told to believe without question, to accept without consideration, and at those times be sure to keep your own council and make up your own mind.

Love you.