Me and Whitney have been talking about judging people through facebook chat and so i was just stating my opinions about judging others.
We were all made so differently, and everyone has grown up in different backgrounds, cities, families, socially, economically, you name it... everyone is affected by there surroundings. Unfortunately we grow up in a society where judgement is passed all too quickly. I myself cannot say i have never judged someone, but i know when i try to break down a persons situation then i can have a better understanding of who they are. I am very optimistic so i do take the time to see past the initial 'first impression'. I have also gone through a lot of shitty situations that have made me have a better outlook i guess. I think if you judge a person for the things they did, it will never fully allow you to know them. A lot of things go through my head when i think about judging anything whether it be a person or a situation. I kind of always ask the question of why, or what were they thinking... i guess my friend said something that really made me think one day. We were talking about prositution ironically. We were talking about how we dont approve of it, but when it comes down to it, what person prositutes unless there is another factor, like putting the food on the table for your kids, or you were thrown out of your house because your parents dont approve of something you did.... in those cases i could not judge someone for prosituting... because there not doing it to benefit themselves... just to live. I also have thought how can we all judge eachother, when we have all done something thats not approved of??? Judgement is a silly thing, i know it will never go away, but if someone can see past it for a quick second, maybe it would allow them to know or understand a person better. We were made this way for a reason, so embrace it.
Sunday, November 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Maddie, you are super adorable and bright and funny and loving and caring and my list of how I judge you goes on and on and on. You are one of my favorite humans. Do I have GREAT judgment or what.... I love how you influence those around you! With a hug and a smile so bright, you can make someones day. I can't wait to see you. We are working so hard to get out of our crackerjack rental and into a REAL HOME OF OUR OWN. Then I will EXPECT you to come over and spend some memory making time with us! LOVE YOU MUCH.
Great introspection Maddie! Suzy is right you are bright and funny and loving and caring and if you are all those things and try to see the good in other's you cannot go wrong. We are so looking forward to seeing you and your family this Christmas, still working on the particulars but definitely at our annual celebration of Charlie's birthday and downtown Seattle. Glad you and Whit are visiting! Love you sweetheart.
Aunt Sue
Madolyn are you growing up? Spoken like a true woman who values human beings AND their feelings. I often wonder the same thought you mentioned "What were you thinking!" when I get stumped as to others behaviors. I usually decide it is not for me to know. Acceptance of others sometimes comes slow but it is what I finally do. People are different and I have not walked in their shoes, nor they in mine..what else is there to do but not be judgemental in a negative way. One must trust their own judgement..it's usually true! I love you Maddie Sue, and look forward to visiting with you soon. Someday you will have to take a drive up to Auntie Dee's and hang just for the sake of enjoying my company..and vice versa.
Maddie, I love how what I feel shows up in my children! You rock!! Gotta run I"m at work and such an incredibly slooooow typer. One more week. lym, Momma
You've got a point, Maddie. Being judgemental often hurts the person judging because they don't open themselves to new ideas, new ways of life, or just that they don't think there's anyway but their own. And that's pretty exclusive and invites all kinds of "isms" like racism, sexism...etc.
On the other hand, what would life be like with out judgement? Would we be able to determine right or wrong? If we didn't judge people period, then some people would literally get away with murder. Are there such things that are universally right or universally wrong? If there are then there must be judgement, because the only way we know what those universals are is if they have happened before and we labeled (judged) them. It's a paradox we all have to deal with. I love you and I am glad you are open to how people are feeling and not close minded. I think that's pretty awesome.
Sis,
Don't hate on prostitutes! What if they just want some lovin' too?
The most powerful statement I ever heard regarding judgment came from, I believe, Abraham Lincoln, who said:
Even God does not judge a man before he dies.
I always thought that gave you some perspective, you know, taking the long view of things. Who knows what a person's life will become.
The other one I remember most clearly came from Gandhi, who said we should not see each other as we are, but as we want to be. Gandhi believed we all want to be better people, and if we treated someone as if they were the person they aspired to be, they were more likely to become that person. A kind of "you get what you expect" philosophy.
Judgment is a tricky game, one that often says more about the one doing the judging than it does about the one being judged. Personally, I think it wiser to reserve 90% of your judgment for your own self. If we all focused on ourselves, instead of each other, perhaps we'd all be better people.
Love you.
I love being able to read this blog and learn more about the person you are, because we have never spent much time talking. But your glowing personality and easy ways have always been comforting. And surprising. I think for someone so young, your self assurance, openness, and loving ways make you wise beyond your years and a blessing to all who know you.
Love, Lina
Post a Comment