Wednesday, December 16, 2009

a testimony of prayer and scriptures

I know that everyone has faced their own trials in the Church of Jesus Chirst of Latter Day Saints, as well as those who are outside of the church. I know that Heavenly Father gave us weaknesses so that we may humble ourselves in his eyes. When we are humble we
" -recognize gratefully our dependence on the Lord
- we have constant need for his support
- we acknowledge that our talents and abilities are gifts from God
- it indicates that we know where our true strength lies " --True to the Faith

So because we have weaknesses whether it be in judging others, bieng proud, keeping the word of wisdom, lieing, cheating, stealing, having clean thoughts, profanity, sexual sin, not paying tithing, we have to remember that we need to be humble so that our Heavenly Father can strengthen us in our afflictions.

Ether 12:27 " And if men come unto me, I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that HUMBLE themselves before me, and have FAITH in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them. "

This verse literally gives us the answer to overcoming our weaknesses. Not that it is easy, but there is a way. We know that we have to humble ourselves and to humble ourselves we recognize dependency on Heavenly Father, need his support, acknowledge our blessings from him and know our true strength lies in him, as well as having faith that he will bless us as we follow his will.

I know that when i am kneeled down in prayer that my Heavenly Father loves me, and wants me to ask for his help, so that he can guide and strengthen me.

Alma 37:36-37 " Yea, and cry unto God for all thy support;....Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings; and he will direct thee for good."

As we pray our Heavenly Father will lead us down the strait and narrow path towards good/righteousness. Even when we feel guilty or unworthy of prayer, we should still counsel with our Heavenly Father, that is when we need him the most.

Mark 14:38 " Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation, the spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak."

Even if we have true intent to be better, our flesh is weak and through prayer we can be made strong. We cannot procrastinate prayer or we will slowly be led by satan into a sarrowful path of unhappiness, and our guilt will become an overwhelming burden. As we pray Heavenly Father can lift that burden from our shoulders and is bound to his word, as we pray we will be blessed, be guided and strengthened, as we in turn exercise our faith by abiding by his will.

I also know that reading scriptures helps build a strong foundation in resisting temptation.

"Daily, meaningful scripture study helps you be receptive to the whisperings of the Holy Ghost. It builds your faith, fortifies you against temptation, and helps you draw near to your Heavenly Father and his Beloved Son." -- True to the Faith

Through prayer and scripture reading we can have a strong foundation in Christ so that when we are tempted we can say no, or get back up quickly from our mistakes, instead of being led by satan. I testify that I know that my days go better when i start and end them with a prayer, that I am reassured every time I pray that Heavenly Father knows what I am going through, that he knows that I am trying, and i know that as i read my scriptures I feel the power of the spirit testify the truthfullness of the gospel, that abiding by the principles will bring me a happiness that I never knew possible. I know my Heavenly Father loves each and every one of his children, that he wants all of us to be happy, that he made a plan so that we could follow it, and i know that as long as we are trying that he will bear our burdens with us, and make them lighter. I am grateful to be able to kneel down in prayer so i can give thanks for my blessings, but also ask for help, and am grateful for the gospel and the joy it brings to my life. I testify these things in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.

3 comments:

SueAnn said...

I love you Maddie. I want you to know I read all of your posts, don't always have anything to add but wanted you to know that. I sent you some pictures via email, did you get them?

John aka "Benny" said...

Maddie, thanks for sharing that!

Dee said...

You are a sweetheart and I love you alot! Aunt Dee