Monday, May 11, 2009

My testimony before my baptism.

I have done a lot of stupid things in my life. As well as, shown strength in my mistakes, and been able to put those mistakes past me. I know many of my difficult times that I went through came because of drinking and ever since making the decision to quit drinking among other things (aka drugs, I have been filled with ten times the happiness i would have thought i could have enjoyed at a party or sitting around smoking with my friends. I contribute my happiness to the gospel, although some may disagree, but i know God has a plan for me, and he knows me personally. I can only tell you, my family, that i believe mormonism is true, because i have witnessed my blessings from following and learning the message. It's hard to tell all of you my belief because I know there are doubters, because i was among the doubters myself. Only when i truely wanted to learn did answers come, and were my eyes opened to a greater understanding of God's plan for me. There are so many "coincidenses" that have happened, i think of them as my prayers being answered, that have allowed my faith to grow so much stronger than it was when i first started learning. I have been meeting with my missionaries for a month and a half now, and had 2-3 lessons a week on the book of mormon as well as the bible. So i know i am prepared to be baptised, this is my first step in receiving the blessings of the holy ghost, and now the harder part keeping my commandments and covenants to God. Because i know about keeping the "word of wisdom" (which is no alcohol, drugs, tea, or coffee) I have felt joy and happiness, and a sense of peace, which, I know in keeping my covenants i will still witness after my baptism. I kind of get mad when people ask me if i really believe in it or do I like not drinking or not partying, I have beleived in God and Jesus Christ my whole entire life, the only thing that has changed is that theres a living prophet i never knew of, and i grasped the belief of a living prophet because a member came to one of my meetings with the missionaries and she was a convert as well. She told me it was hard for her to believe, but then she thought why would God only leave us with the bible, which mind you was written way long ago, and then leave us here to figure out whats next, the prophet is God's mouthpeice and he's guiding us still here today. The reason for keeping the commandments is because God wants me to be happy, it's like when your parents tell you not to do something, its not because they want you to be unhappy, its to keep you safe and for you to find the greatest joy. I can only tell you how the LDS church has changed me, and i know you have witnessed it. I dont believe its coincidense, i dont believe i have been brainwashed, but I do beleive God is real, I do believe that Joseph Smith is a prophet, and the book of mormon is true. I know it's hard for my family to believe it, especially Ryan because he's always seen me as the life of the party :P... but in living these things, i find a deeper meaning to my life, i dont live day to day wondering where the next party is. The best thing about this church, is that the family is the basis of everything, and i have grown up with such an amazing family, my aunts and uncles and cousins, brothers and mom and dad, all of you have been a huge influence on my life, and im grateful for it. I can only encourage you all to go to a LDS (latter day saint) church and talk to the missionaries if you really want to find out about it. You can only grow closer to God from it. I wont be preaching to you, or telling you that your wrong for things that i dont do because it is a choice. I just want you all to know I am happy, i do find joy in this, and I am grateful for Matt to have shown me the path to God, but now I walk it alone without his guideance because its my choice of what i do, and how i follow, and so with that, I bare my testimony that I know the church is true, and God is real and Jesus Christ atoned for my sins. amen :)

8 comments:

Whitney Shae said...

wish I could make it mad! Good luck and lots of love to you.

Reme said...

Hey Maddie, I am proud of you and your testimony. Mom, Doug, and I will be at your baptism. I am glad you are happy and healthy, and look forward to seeing you :)
Love Reme

The Best Years said...

Well said Maddie, you know you have our love and support for the choice you are making. It takes a lot of courage to let other's know how you feel. Reme will be home on Sunday and she, Doug and I plan on coming to your baptism. Love, Aunt Sue

suzy q said...

Love YOU sweetie!!

Dee said...

Maddie Sue, you have always been a delightful child and you're growing into a delightful woman. I wish for you all the happiness you can soak up in this world. You certainly have the ability to give it to many. I respect your choice and am proud of you. I will try to make it to your baptism. You are VERY important to me. Any choice that helps you to stop harming your beautiful body and bright brain is a good choice.
Aunt Dee

Dee said...

HI Maddie
I don't think I'll be able to come to your baptism. Kameron is up with a urinary tract infection and boy am I tired already.Check the time! He'll have to go to the doctor in the morning and it'll take a couple days before he's better. I hope so we fly to Hawaii on tuesday!!
God bless you dear niece
I love you so much
Aunt Dee

Vevags said...

I read that long post and realized how much you have thought about what you are doing and I am proud of you for making your own choices and feeling good about them. I too was babtised into the Mormon church when I was about 13 and spent my growing up years in the church so I know what you are talking about. You are so lucky to have a big family that adores and loves you no mater what. Tammy

Natalie said...

I came across your blog link from Mike and Shelli's page - - I am Matt and Mike's sister, Natalie. I've never met you, but your testimony really touched me. This is the amazing thing about missionary work... there are so many people out there searching for meaning, purpose and truth. I am so glad that you have found it!

Congratulations on your baptism and your willingness to follow God's Plan of Happiness. Keep up the good work!